Peoria Rivermen (2-5-1-1) at Charlotte Checkers (7-3-0-1)
- The Checkers sit atop the Western Conference (and the league), while the Rivermen are last in the Western Conference, and 29th overall.
- In the teams two meetings this season, the combined score is 10-0 Charlotte. On top of that, the Rivermen are on a five-game losing streak when they face the Checkers. Overall, the Checkers are 8-2-0-0 when they face the Rivermen.
- The offensive play of the two teams is distinctly different. The Rivermen have scored 13 goals all season long. The Checkers have scored 41.
- The Rivermen will start Jake Allen in goal, while the Checkers will play Justin Peters between the pipes.
Rasmus Rissanen LEADS THE LEAGUE in minor penalties with 10. Last year, he had 57 PIMs in 64 games. He currently has 20 PIMs in only 11 games.
- In nine games this season, Justin Faulk has 13 points (2g, 11a) and is third in the league in points.
- Drayson Bowman has scored a lot of goals. Of the nine he’s on the books for, four of them came on the power play.
- The more I glean the stats to write this, I feel like I’m gloating about the Checkers amazing skills on the ice, but I swear, I’m not! It’s just an incredibly unbalanced match up.
- The Checkers have the best power play in the league, and not surprisingly, the Rivermen have the worst. The Checkers penalty kill is ranked fourth, while the Rivermen are in 24th.
The Checkers had the day off yesterday, and should be a much fresher team than the one who took the ice on Tuesday against Chicago.
- I hear there are dollar beers at the arena tonight. If I wasn’t morally opposed to drinking macrobrewery watered down swill, I’d be really excited about this fact. Instead, I’m going to visit Courtyard Hooligans after the game for the tapping of a keg of one of my favorite winter beers, Natty Green’s Red Nose Winter Warmer. It’s tasty beer and I’ve been requesting it for a couple of years now, and they finally agreed to bring it in!
- To see a few more photos from Tuesday’s game, visit the Chasing Checkers facebook page.
Gametime: 7:00 p.m. EST