Lake Erie Monsters (10-10-1-1) at Charlotte Checkers (14-7-1-1)
- The Checkers play their second game of their three-in-three following a very disappointing loss against Texas Last night.
- Last night’s game came down to very disappointing performances by Charlotte’s special teams. Hopefully, this afternoon’s game will not be a repeat.
- There’s a good chance the Monsters won’t be well rested if they spent last night at a Charlotte hotel following the Clemson/Virginia Tech matchup. I can’t imagine there was much quiet in any uptown hotel.
- This is the first regular season contest against Lake Erie, however the Checkers went 2-0 in preseason games against the Monsters at the Xtreme Ice Center.
- Radio coverage returns tonight after a brief hiatus due to equipment malfunctions. The game will be broadcast live on WBCN 1660 AM.
Lake Erie Notes:
- Right wing David van der Gulik leads the team in points with 19 (6G, 13A).
- Evan Brophy, a center, leads the team in goals with 7.
- Former ECHL Checker Hugh Jessiman leads the team in PIMs with 44.
- Rookie goaltender Trevor Cann has started the past three games. In 13 games this season, he’s 5-8-0-0 (3.89 GAA, .897 SV%).
- Starting goaltender Cedric Desjardins is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, and has missed the past three games. In eight games this season, he leads the AHL in GAA with 1.62, and a .948 SV%.
- Goaltender Desjardins played junior hockey with the Rimouski Oceanic, and had a teammate named Sidney Crosby… I think that Sid guy is a pretty good hockey player. Checkers fans will also recognize Desjardins as the former netminder for the Norfolk Admirals.
- In case you need a pronunciation key (French names can be tricky), deh-ZHAHR-dahn is how you taunt the goalie. I assume that Cann is pronounced just as it reads…
Gametime: 5:00 p.m. EST
Charlotte Radio: WBCN 1660 AM
Referee: Jarrod Ragusin (#42)
Linesmen: Frank Murphy (#29), Ben Shiley (#21)