Tonight marks game one of eight against the Oklahoma City Barons. For a refresher of our new foes to the west, you can read this “Getting to know” post from the summer.
Notes about tonight’s game:
- Both teams play game one of a 3-in-3 weekend, against the same teams. Oklahoma travels to Houston and San Antonio following the game against Charlotte, and Charlotte will go to San Antonio and then Houston.
- Mike Murphy is expected to get the start in goal with Justin Peters still sidelined with a lower-body injury.
The Hurricanes are battling their own injuries, with Zac Dalpe on IR and Tim Brent day-to-day, so Zach Boychuk and Brett Sutter are still in Raleigh. To combat this, Justin Shugg (a.k.a. the Shuggernaut) has been recalled from ECHL Florida. He is the reigning ECHL Player of the Week for his stellar performance with the Everblades.
- There will be four Justin’s playing tonight. And THAT is why Justin continues to be my favorite player.
- Charlotte and Oklahoma City share the same number of points (9) but OKC has played one less game.
- OKC has two goaltenders that have shared time in net, both with exceptional numbers. Veteran netminder Yann Danis was undrafted, and spent four years at Brown University. He’s a favorite of Chasing Checkers from his time with the Hamilton Bulldogs, andf is 3-1-0-1 with a 1.73 GAA and .971 SV%. David LeNeveu, also a veteran, is 1-0-1, with a 2.69 GAA and .922 SV%.
- Centerman Josh Green and RW Ryan Keller lead the team with six points each (Green: 1G, 5A; Keller: 2G, 4A).
- Defenseman Alex Plante leads the team with 23 PIM. (I always question whethere “leading” the team in PIM is actually a good thing… )
- Defenseman Colten Teubert and Centerman Gilbert Brule are both former first-round draft picks (of Los Angeles and Columbus, respectively) who haven’t panned out quite as expected. Teubert has excelled in the AHL in Oklahoma City since the Kings traded him to Edmonton last Spring for Dustin Penner.
- Brule has been riddled with injuries and illnesses, and after playing for the Oilers the past three seasons, didn’t make the big team this year and was sent to Oklahoma City. Brule may be best known in recent years for picking up a famous hitchhiker in his hometown of Vancouver last summer. Brule and his girlfriend stumbled upon Bono of U2 fame, and gave him a ride.
Gametime: 8:00 p.m. EST