I missed the game live last night, and am trudging my way through the archived video on AHLlive.com. The audio was less than stellar… to no fault of Jason Shaya’s! It started off with problems from the local radio feed, but in the end, was still imbalanced. It’s as if the gain on the microphones of Jason Shaya and Chris Jablonski was turned up too much, allowing too much sound into them. Basically, the ambient noise was too prevalent and Shaya’s voice was peaking the signal levels, becoming distorted. The in-arena noise… music, Wilson’s promo stuff, etc., is distracting when you are listening to play by play. What can I say… I’m a bit of a techie geek and know stuff about sound engineering.
- Justin Peters left the game in the third period with an apparent lower body injury. He had to be helped off the ice. Mike Murphy came into the game cold, and missed the first shot on net, but had a strong remaining ten minutes.
- As a result of Peters injury, John Muse has been recalled from Florida.
- The black jersey curse continues, with the Aeros breaking the tie and winning the game with four seconds to go.
- Chris Terry, in lieu of Captain Brett Sutter, was wearing a third A for the Checkers. It was great to see him wearing a letter!
- Zach Boychuk scored both of the Checkers powerplay goals. I wonder if it was his way of protesting NOT getting a call up this week to Raleigh. If so, I’ll take it that kind of protest!
- The Checkers proved again that they are the best 40-minute team in the AHL. If there weren’t third periods, they’d have a couple more in the win column.
- Last night was the third-straight game they gave up the lead in the third period. Can we petition to have third periods removed from the AHL?
- After a great job last Sunday preventing the opposing team from shooting the puck, the Checkers continued that for the first two periods, with more SOG than Houston. The third period was a different story… the Aeros outshot the Checkers 17-8. Yuck.
- Mike Murphy will get the start in net tonight. John Muse is expected to dress as his back-up.
- Following last-season’s tradition of road-red jerseys in the game after the cursed black ones, I’d expect to see the Checkers in red tonight. I do love those red jerseys!